People often see UE error code on their LG washer, few weeks or months after purchasing LG washing machine.
If you’re wondering, what does UE mean on LG washer? The UE error code on your LG washing machine indicates that the washer is attempting to spin despite the unbalanced, uneven load of linens, which may eventually become an issue.
To elaborate, when a combination of a small and a large letter appears, i.e., UE, it reflects that the machine is taking several attempts to evenly distribute the uneven laundry in the drum by itself. It may gain and drain a little water in the process.
However, after numerous attempts, the code with two large letters appears on display, i.e., UE indicates the machine cannot resolve the issue by itself. Therefore, the breakdown happens. This code, however, can be easily fixed by anyone without any help from a technician.
Note: In older models of LG washing machines, there was only one option to display the UE error code, which indicated malfunction in the absence of spin.
Causes Of UE Error In LG Washing Machine
There can be many causes behind an LG washing machine UE error. They are as follows:
- Washing machine overloaded with linens which often results in worn-out parts,
- Improper drum loading,
- Too bulky or too little items,
- Poor installation of the washing machine,
- Program failure, and
- Worn-out machine parts
Fixing Error UE In Washing Machines
LG washing machines which are usually so reliable and trust worthy and recognised in the group of the best washing machines in India can also show errors such as the UE error from time to time. But how do we fix such as error?
Well, fixing an LG washing machine UE error can be as easy as redistributing an unbalanced load of linens evenly. However, you must know the immediate steps that need to be taken to fix the problem. To know more, follow through the steps below:
1. Balance The Load
To be honest, a tangled pair of fabrics is definitely going to make the washer drum bang and thump. The drum will stop spinning, and therefore, you must redistribute the load evenly and restart the cycle to fix it. Also, a single-item load or a comparatively small load can create an unbalanced load as well. You can add a few towels or bed linens to allow the machine to adjust its load properly, without any UE error code.
Additionally, an oversized load can equally trigger direct drive washer UE error codes. In such a situation, the washer cannot distribute the oversized load inside the drum properly, resulting in a UE error code. Hence, you must remove some of the fabrics to even out the odds and start the washing cycle again.
2. Level The Legs
If the washer display reflects a UE error code despite a balanced load, this may be because of unleveled legs. All of the four leveling legs of the washer must be firmly on an even-surfaced floor to provide stability while the machine spins.
You can start by pressing down the corners that you inspect may not be leveled out, and if the washer rocks even slightly, the washer will vibrate tremendously during its spin cycle. This, however, is going to trigger the washer’s UE error code.
You can also choose to adjust one of the leveling legs by loosening the lock nut holding the leg in its place and rotating that leg clockwise to either lower it or raise it and adjust. If that does not suffice, try adjusting another leg to fix the leveling.
Unfortunately, a washer with unleveled legs can also vibrate, which in return will trigger its UE error code. So my suggestions, in that case, will be, after you adjust the legs, place a bubble level on the top of the washer to check for any gaps.
3. Motor Malfunction
If the UE error code continues to display even after leveling the legs, it may be caused by motor malfunctioning. To fix this, follow through the steps below:
- You must disconnect all power sources going to the machine.
- Move the washer around to get a better view of the back of the unit.
- Use the help of a screwdriver to remove the screws that are holding the panel back in place. Then lift the panel to pull it off.
- Remove the bolts that hold the rotor in its place by using a socket. Don’t forget to wear protective gloves during the process.
- Now, remove the screws and hold the wiring harnesses in their places.
- You may remove the bolts now that are holding the stator in place.
- Then disconnect the wiring harnesses from the stator.
- You may grab the new motor to reconnect the wiring harnesses, as well as the hall sensor to it, positioning the new stator on the back unit with the help of the previously mentioned bolts.
- After that, screw back the wiring harnesses to the tub and place the rotor back on the shaft.
- Now apply some thread lock to the reinstalled bolts and install the rear panel, restoring the power.
4. Failed Hall Sensor
Yet another common problem that usually triggers UE error code in a washer is a failed hall sensor. The hall sensor or rotor position sensor helps monitor the washer’s motor operations. Therefore, it assists the control board in making sure the procedures are running correctly. Follow the steps through and through to understand how to replace it:
- Follow the abovementioned steps as outlined previously.
- Then, after you turn the stator off and the wire harnesses are all disconnected, you will find the hall sensor at the bottom of the stator.
- To replace, pull the hall sensor off the stator and put the new one back in its place. Now you can reconnect the wiring harnesses to reassemble the machine.
5. Loose Motor Nut
Another common issue that can trigger the UE code is a loose motor nut. When a motor nut is loose, the motor will move chaotically while not providing exact positioning to the hall sensor. Therefore, here’s a quick process to access the motor nut:
- Follow through the first to seventh step from under “Motor Malfunctioning” until you remove the stator.
- After the stator is off, you will find if the motor nut is loose.
- You can continue by simply taking a ratchet and tightening the nut.
- After reassembling the machine, the UE error code should disappear.
6. Wiring Issue
A UE error code can also be caused due to wiring issues such as damaged or burned wires. To find out, you will require disassembling the machine and checking each wire closely to determine the faulty one.
- Firstly start by checking the ones that are connected to the motor and hall sensor.
- Follow through the first to fifth step from under “Motor Malfunction” to reach the wire harnesses for the motor and hall sensor.
- Now, after removing the screws, inspect the visible wires contained in each harness.
- Lastly, replace pr reconnect the ones that you find are faulty.
7. Control Board Failure
If you still find the UE error code displayed on your washer after replacing parts of the machine, it may indicate a control board failure that usually controls a washer’s operations. Therefore, follow the steps below to learn how to replace the control board of a washer:
- Firstly, disconnect all power sources from the unit.
- Next, remove the screws from the top and slide the top of the washer back to lift remove it.
- Now, pull the inlet hoses free from the steam generator to remove all the screws that secure the crossbar.
- After you’re done, move the generator and crossbar out of the way.
- Move away from the screws that hold the pressure switch and pull it off the control board cover. Don’t forget to detach the tube from the retainer clip.
- You may now use pliers to remove all wiring harness retainer clips out of the control board.
- Also, start removing the mounting screws as well that hold the control board assembly in its place.
- You are now required to slide the assembly tabs out of the rear cabinet slots to lift the assembly out.
- Next, release the locking tabs that help to keep the control board cover intact.
- Therefore you’re all set now to replace the main control board.
- After all the wiring harnesses are attached, put the cover back on the control board and reassemble your machine.
8. Worn Out Suspension Rods
Lastly, another common reason for a UE error code is worn-out suspension rods. These rods help to secure the drum to prevent it from jiggling around during the wash cycle. Heavy or frequent shaking of the machine during the wash cycle may be an indicator of the same. To replace suspension rods:
- Disconnect all power sources.
- Now lift the lid and use a small knife to get rid of the retainer clips that secure the main top.
- Next, lift the drum upwards and detach the suspension rod(s) that needs to be changed.
- Install the new suspension rod by applying grease on the top and bottom of the rod.
- Then hook the top of this new suspension rod in the support bracket and lift the drum to attach the bottom of the rod to the outer drum.
- Reassemble the machine, and you’re good to go.
Other Common LG Washing Machine Error Codes
|IE||Causes due to inlet water supply error||The expected water level cannot be reached in initial 5 minutes and the final preset water level cannot be reached in 20 minutes. Start checking the water supply faucets at the back of the washer, making sure they are fully open. Now, check the fill hoses for kinks. Check the inlet water valves for defects and replace the inlet water valve assembly accordingly. If the water valves are okay, replace the main electronic control board.|
|OE||Draining process becomes slow.||Check the washer drain for clogging and the drain hose for kink or resistance. Then unplug the washer and check the wire harness connection between the control board and the drain pump. You may reconnect any loose wires or replace the wire harness if damaged. If the drain pump fails to run when activated, replace it.|
|UE||Unbalanced or even loads.||Evenly distribute the linens in the washer and if the load is too small to be balanced, add few more items. Heavy items mixed with light ones may not balance properly so therefore, make sure the washer is properly leveled.|
|PE||Failure of water level sensor.||First, unplug the washer to check the wire harness connections between the water level sensor and the electronic control board. You may reconnect any loose wires or replace the wire harness if damaged. Replace the water level sensor if the wires are okay.|
|dE||Door is not closed properly.||Unplug the washer first to check the door for an obstacle. If the door is damaged, replace the defective parts. If the door is closing properly, check the door lock/switch assembly wiring and if found any issues, replace the door lock/switch assembly.|
|FE||Overflowing water.||The drain pump will run constantly when the FE error code is displayed. Hence, check the inlet water valves to see if they shut off the water supply properly after the washer is filled and if they are defective, replace them.|
|LE||Drive motor is locked.||Check the wire harness connections on the motor as well as the hall sensor. Repair any wiring failures and if the wiring connections are sound, do check for damaged motor components to replace them.|
|tE||Heating sensor error.||Unplug the washer to check for wiring connections on the drum thermistor. Then measure the resistance using a volt/ohm meter. It should measure about 40,000 ohms at 85 degrees F. If the thermistor is defective, replace it.|
|EE||EEPROM error on main electronic control board||If the EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) on the control board is corrupted, try to clear the code by unplugging the washer for 5 minutes. If the code doesn’t clear when you restore power, replace the main control board.|
|PF||Power failure error.||A power failure occurs during the cycle and therefore, the cycle will not complete properly.|
1. IE Error In LG Washing Machine
LG Washing machines are usually very reliable, and when compared to other brands such as Bosch and IFB, they are definitely one of the brands to consider. However, there are times when your LG Washing machine can show errors such as those mentioned in the table above.
An IE error code usually occurs in washing machines without a proper display, the prime indicators being ‘wash,’ ‘pre-wash, or simply ‘blink light.’ It means that the washer is filling water slowly or sometimes won’t fill at all.
I. Causes Of 1E Error In LG Washing Machine
- When the fill valve is broken, you don’t get any water since it doesn’t open on time. Similarly, if the valve is opening slightly, the machine won’t work correctly.
- When the pressure switch is broken, you will hear the water being pumped in, but the system will still display an IE error code.
- When the electronic controller malfunctions, the machine automatically starts to misbehave.
II. How To Fix IE Error In LG Washing Machine?
Start by unplugging the system and restarting your machine. Carefully remember not to use it for at least 15-20 minutes, and if the controller fails, the error will disappear. If not, the error code will still be visible. Follow through the steps to fix the problem:
- You may check the water supply system to check if there’s any clogging.
- If the streamline filter between the washing machine and the fill hose is clogged, remove and clean it properly.
- Check the fill valve and unscrew the top panel of the machine to see the valve.
- Now, you may take a multi-meter to measure the resistance, ideally 2-4 kilo-ohms. In case of a failure, carefully remove and replace the coil.
However, if the reading is fine despite valve malfunctions, here are the steps to replace it:
- First, unplug the machine from power and turn the water off.
- Now remove the top panel and disconnect all the wires from the coil.
- You may remove the clips and disconnect the hoses.
- Now, unscrew the fasteners that are securing the valve to remove them.
- Lastly, install a new set in the reverse order.
You may also check the pressure switches and if there’s a clogged pipe to avoid such error codes. The pressure switch and the electronic module can be checked with a multi-meter, and while examining the module, you may also notice some damaged contacts that require cleaning or replacing.
2. DE Error In LG Washing Machine
The DE error in your washing machine primarily indicates that the washer door was unable to lock. This issue can be fixed either by performing a simple reset on the washer, or you may check for a fault with the pin system or the hinge.
I. Causes Of DE Error In LG Washing Machine:
- The latch of the lock assembly is faulty or damaged.
- The handle or the hinge is damaged or broken.
- The lid actuator of the lock assembly has failed.
- Control board malfunctions.
- The spring or the wire strap is out of place.
- The door isn’t locked properly.
II. How To Fix DE Error In LG Washing Machine:
Before starting with the tips and tricks to fix a DE error code caused by specific reasons, here’s a list of things that are advised for you to do initially to deal with DE error codes:
- Make sure to close the machine door properly to avoid an error. Check the door carefully for possible obstacles holding the door from closing.
- Tighten the hinges securely to make sure the door is aligned properly.
- Restart the system and allow it to wait for at least 15-20 before plugging into a power source again.
If the error code continues to display, here’s what you can do to fix it:
- Open the door to check if the latch is intact and moveable. Adjust it in case otherwise.
- If the latch is fine, take the lock assembly out and unscrew the ones holding the switch inside the machine.
- Now, take out the switch assembly and turn it on without disconnecting it. Find the contact on the narrow part of the switch and complete the circuit.
- If the machine does not reflect the error code while setting the washing cycle with an open door, it’s time to either replace or repair the lock assembly.
However, if you’re confident that the lock is working perfectly fine despite a DE error code, consider examining the small board:
- It is located in the control module and switches the washer on and off.
- Firstly, remove the plastic lid covering the control board.
- Unscrew the ones that are holding the control board in place.
- This board consists of two segments: a large board with a display and a small one switching the machine on and off, and we require just the small one.
- Hence, remove the large board to put it aside.
- Check the small board thoroughly to inspect for any visible damage, burnouts, etc.
- Clean or repair the parts and reinstall the board. If the machine works properly without displaying the code, you’re good to go. If it continues to display a DE error code, immediately contact an expert.
3. PE Error In LG Washing Machine
A PE error code typically signifies the issue with your washer’s water level pressure sensor switch. Before dwelling on the details, this issue can sometimes be fixed by unplugging the machine from all power sources and restarting it after a good few minutes. However, if the code continues to display, read on further to solve the problem.
I. Causes Of PE Error In LG Washing Machine:
There may be a few significant reasons behind your washing machine displaying a PE error code. Let’s take a glance at them.
- A Wiring Problem: The primary reason for a PE error code in the washing machine is the problem between the wiring for the water level pressure switch or the sensor to the main control board. Due to repeated vibrations during the spin cycles, some wires often get loosened, resulting in disconnection. To understand if this is the problem, you will require inspecting the wiring harness from the sensor to the control board.
- The Water Level Pressure Sensor Switch Issue: In case there is no visible wiring problem with the washing machine, but it continues to display the PE error code, you may need to check on the water level pressure sensor switch. The usual problem here is either a dirty switch that needs to be cleaned or a faulty one that needs to be replaced.
- Proper Installation: Don’t forget to check if the washing machine is installed correctly since the reason for simultaneous recruitment and drainage of water caused by an improperly located drain hose may affect similarly. The level of drainage is advised to be at least 50 cm above the floor.
II. How To Fix PE Error In LG Washing Machine:
A. Failure of water level switch: In most cases, a PE error code is caused due to the failure of a water level switch. To fix it:
- Turn the power supply off to shut off the water supply.
- Next, unscrew the bolts on the top panel to move them aside.
- You’ll find a pressure switch at the very top which controls the amount of water in the tank.
- Inspect the tube for damage and check the co0nnection strength.
- Use a multi-meter to check for the wiring connecting the level switch to the control board.
- If everything is in order, change the pressure switch to the serviceable device.
B. Fixing A Wiring Problem:
- To start with, you must inspect the wiring harness for any loose connection or a damaged part. Also, don’t forget to look for a burnt or faulty one.
- Next, check for the continuity between in the wiring harness with the help of a multi-meter.
- If the wiring harness is faulty, replace it with a new one.
4. OE Error In LG Washing Machine
An OE error code usually occurs in a washing machine when a problem with water drainage after the wash cycle appears. This is either due to either a kinked drain hose, clogged drain pump filter, trouble with the pump, or an excess of detergent suds causing air gaps.
I. Causes Of OE Error In LG Washing Machine:
The leading causes of an OE error code in washing machines are:
- The drain pump filter gets blocked or full of debris, needing to be cleaned.
- The drain hose is bent, and hence, water cannot drain out from the machine.
- The unfamiliar objects often block the drainage way.
II. How To Fix OE Error In LG Washing Machine:
- Check the drain pump filter: Firstly, unplug the washer from its power source and locate the filter on the bottom of the washer. Next, remove the drain pump filter cover to unhook the drain hose. You may take off the small plug from the drain hose to drain the water that is still present inside the drum. Next, twist the drain pump filter cover to remove it and clean the drain pump filter with water. After that, put the cap back on the drain hose to connect it to the washer and slide the clean drain pump filter back into the washer. Remember to put back the filter and the cover securely, and once done, wash a small load to be sure of any error code still displaying.
- Checking the washer drain hose: Firstly, check the back of the washer and the washer drain hose for clogging or kinked. If the washing machine was pushed back and the drain hose was crimped behind it, the draining water cannot flow properly. Therefore, make sure the drain hose is straight without any blockage.
- Checking the drain pump: The drain pump is typically located inside the washer and can be accessed by unplugging the machine from power and opening up the panel to take the hoses off the drain pump to check for blockages. However, this process should be done only if you are entirely confident you can take the washer apart and be safe with electrical components.
The UE error code in the LG washing machine ( front load or top load ) may appear both at the end of the program before starting the spin and within the intervals during the washing cycle. The appliance beforehand tries to gain a couple of minutes to start the medium or main spin, and attempts end up with the error on display.
However, with proper knowledge and a little bit of effort, along with the help of this article, I am optimistic that anybody will be confident to fix the issues themselves.