Washing machines with electronic displays are no longer a novelty because the information on the display screen can be very resourceful.
Additionally, the machine manufacturers such as LG,IFB, and Samsung have included error codes in the program and wash cycle duration and water temperature to make it easier for consumers to determine the problem areas and fix them accordingly. One of the most common errors that consumers often complain about is the 4E or 4C error code.
A 4C or 4E error essentially means that the your fully automatic or Semi-automatic washing machine is not properly collecting water, causing the machine to display an error code. On the models without a display, the indicators of all washing modes and the lower temperature indicator light up.
Causes Of 4C Error In Samsung Washing Machines
4C in Samsung washing machine can cause due to several reasons:
- Lack of water supply.
- No water pressure and no pressure in water.
- The water inlet filter is clogged
- The water supply hose to the washing machine is pinched.
Fixing 4E Error In Samsung Washing Machines
A 4C error indicates that the washing machine is not collecting water due to some reason. Well, this is easy to understand: after all, you cannot hear the sounds of pouring water, and through the glass of the drum, you cannot see the flow of water.
A 4C can occur both at the beginning of the wash cycle and during the wash cycle. In some instances, the Samsung washing machines indicate such an error by code 4E and not 4C.
1. Check The Water Supply
One of the main reasons behind a 4E or 4C error code may be low water pressure or water supply. This usually means that a water supply hose at the back of the washing machine is either bent or blocked. As a result, the washer does not get enough water supply and displays a 4C or 4E error code. Additionally, water pressure to the washer needs to be from 0.5 to 8 bar.
Let’s take a quick look at the method to inspect water supply hoses on washer:
- First, unplug the washing machine from the power source.
- Move the washer around to get access to the back of the appliance.
- Now, inspect the water supply lines to ensure they are not blocked, damaged, or bent.
2. Check Water Supply Valve For Clogging
Another possible common reason for a 4C or 4e error code is a malfunctioning water valve. Hence, a regular valve check is necessary, and you need to prepare a standard network cable with a switch and contacts in insulation cases for testing. When your device is connected to a voltage, remember to keep the valve open and then immediately close back.
In case it failed to happen this exact way, you’ll find the reason behind unsupplied water to your washer. Therefore, you should not immediately spin up the entire washing machine to check the sensor for damages but eliminate all of the displayed errors.
To begin with, inspect the water supply valve where the water hoses are connected to make sure they are fully open.
If you find out the water valve is not fully open and unable to supply the required quantity of water, you’ll know the reason for an error code. Hence, turn both the hot and cold valves fully open, therefore, solving the issue of the 4C or 4E error code of your washer.
3. Solutions When Washing Machine Is Getting Water
Now, if your machine is getting water and still displays the error, there may be a few reasons behind this. It may be either due to the dispenser drawer, unclean mesh water filter, or even excessive laundry. Let’s discuss each one of them in detail to understand how it works:
I. Check The Dispenser Drawer
The 4C or 4E error code may be displayed on your washer in case there is a blockage in the dispenser drawer. To fix this, you can easily remove the dispenser drawer to clean it under running warm water and give it a more thorough clean; make sure to use an old toothbrush to clean each valve in each compartment. However, if the error code persists, there may be a severe issue at hand.
II. Remove Gunk From Mesh Filter
To begin with, remove or clear any gunk present on the mesh water hose filter at the back of your washer to allow water to pass freely. Also, clean both the hot and cold mesh filters under hot water to ensure they are squeaky clean, and install them later with proper instructions.
Excessive Laundry Or Drum Absorbs Water:
If your machine is getting water and still displays the error, it could be because-
- Either there is too much laundry in your washer for the opted washing mode (you can find the information on maximum load in each washing mode in the user manual under ‘operation’ or ‘instructions for washing linens’ etc.),
- Or the laundry loaded into the drum absorbs a lot of water itself, for example, cushions, long blankets, etc. (the appliance itself requires a lot of water for washing clothes; therefore, if linens absorb more water than planned, its level will start to decrease. This will result in the display of an error code).
However, if the error code persists despite proper quantity of laundry inside the drum (with no linens that absorb more water), check the water pressure in the filter hose. If the pressure is low, the error will occur, in which case, you must consult with your plumber.
III. Call A Technician
The curiosity around washing machine error codes is becoming more and more common among consumers, and as a result, people are finding themselves searching about them online. However, if you try to find their reference in user manuals of your appliances, it’s tough to get hold of error code information.
Therefore, if cleaning the dispenser drawer has not worked, there may be a greater issue with your washer that needs your attention to resolve error codes. It could be possibly due to an issue with water supply, clog in the hose, or even solenoid issues.
The wisest thing to do in such a scenario is to consult with an experienced appliance engineer to get your washer checked and serviced properly.
This will help them spill out a few tips for you to follow through to keep your appliance safe and working and let them have a say if your home setup is in line with the industry standards. They’ll ensure and inspect water pressure, hose, connections, and your washer in general.
Other Well-known Samsung Washing Machine Errors
1. 5E Error In Samsung Washing Machine
One of the most all-time common Samsung washing machine error codes is the 5E error, which, more often than not, does not require any professional help for solving. If you own an old model, don’t confuse the drain error with a 5E error code, which indicates a problem with the heating element.
However, if you don’t fully understand what the error code is and decide to simply unplug your appliance from the power source, you may run into the risk of blowing something up dangerously, causing a leak inside your home.
The principal reason behind this error code popping up into your washer is because your washer isn’t draining water in the time allotted for it, based upon the wash cycle you’ve chosen. This is also calculated based on the quantity of clothes and linens you’ve put into the wash, along with detergent (Check the best detergents for washing machines), warm water, and other variables.
I. Causes Of SE Error In Samsung Washing Machine
There may be many causes of a 5E or SE error in your washing machine so let us discuss the most important ones among them all:
- Drain hose bending.
- Clogged drainage system.
- Drain filter clogged with garbage, hair, or other things.
- Drain pump contacts have gone off.
- Failure in the electric controller.
- A faulty or broken drain pump.
In case of a 5E error, search for the reason behind the failure of improper draining to understand and resolve the problem efficiently.
II. How To Fix 5E Error In Samsung Washing Machine
Here are a few things to do when a 5E error code occurs due to drain filter contamination:
- Firstly, disconnect the washing machine from the power supply.
- Next, open the plastic cover to reach the drain filter and hose.
- Now remove the plug from the drain hose and let the water drain into a separate container.
- Remove the filter screw now by turning it anti-clockwise.
- Carefully clean the filter from dirt, debris, and other stuff.
- Now put the filter back in place by fixing it with a screw, and plug the hose with a stopper.
- Lastly, close the cover, and you’re good to go.
Thus, the washer should be draining water as usual by now. However, if the 5E error code persists, check for any clogs in the sewage system and sincerely inspect the drain hose. Perhaps there is just a control unit glitch, and turning off the appliance for about 5-10 minutes may resolve your issue.
Now, let’s talk about a 5E error code associated with a drain hose blockage. How can we resolve this by removing a blockage in a drain hose? To start with-
- The drain hose should be detached from the washer.
- It should be washed with a solid and warm water pressure source.
- Try bending and unbending the hose to rinse it clean and remove all residues.
If the error code still occurs, it may be a signal for not only water not draining properly from the washing machine but also through the sink. To resolve this-
- You may take the siphon cap to rinse out all the insides of it.
- Next, pour a substance to eliminate any blockage in the sewer pipe.\
2. UE Error In Samsung Washing Machine
Samsung washing machines often display a UE error code that may confuse you a little. However, a UE error only means that the drum of your washer has been overloaded or underloaded. The UE error code can cause your washer to malfunction and stop it from spinning properly during wash cycles.
I. Causes Of Error UE In Samsung Washing Machines
The causes of UE error code in Samsung washing machines are-
- Overloaded drum
- Washing items of different fabrics together that have different weights after absorbing water.
- Too small laundry.
- Adding either too little or too much laundry leads to stronger twists of the drum and drum imbalance.
- Placing your washer on an uneven surface.
- One-time failure in the control module.
II. How To Fix Error UE In Samsung Washing Machines
If a UE error code appears on your washer’s display, before doing anything else, follow the steps mentioned down below:
- In case of laundry imbalance, manually adjust the linens evenly.
- If the drum is overloading, remove some items and restart your cycle.
- If the load in your washer is not sufficient, add a few wet towels to balance the load.
- In the event of a temporary malfunction in the control module, turn off the machine and remove the cord from the outlet. Wait a few minutes, and then restart the washing machine.
- In case of washer titling, level it properly.
- You may also remove the plug from the power source, wait for a good 5-10 minutes, and restart your appliance to check for the error code.
A. Balancing The Washing Load
Uneven loads of linen can significantly cause a UE washer code, to which you must consider following the steps below:
- Distribute the clothes manually evenly in the drum.
- Remove extra linens that may lead to imbalance.
- Add a few heavy linens such as bed covers, blankets, or wet towels in case the existing load is insufficient.
- Finally, press the start button to restart your washing cycle.
B. Check For The Broken Or Faulty Parts
The presence of any damaged part in the washer can equally trigger a UE error, and hereby, follow the steps listed below to resolve it:
- Unplug the washer from the power source.
- Find the drive belt and examine it thoroughly.
- You may replace the belt if it appears broken.
- In case it’s working fine, locate bearing it might have been collapsed.
- You may replace the bearing with a new one if deemed necessary.
- However, if the bearing is working just fine, inspect the sealing of the stuffing box for damage.
- Remove and replace it.
- Finally, you may restart the washer to check for any error codes still prevailing.
C. Adjust The Washer According To The Surface
A UE error code in your washer can also be the reason for unleveled surface, which can be resolved by:
- Unplug your washing machine from all power sources.
- Place your washer on an even surface.
- Check the balance of your machine by placing a bubble level on top of it.
- Adjust the legs wherever needed.
- Loosen the lock nut of the leg that needs to be adjusted.
- Rotate it clockwise or anti-clockwise to lower or raise it accordingly.
- Now, plug the machine into a power source and use it at your convenience.
3. DE Error In Samsung Washing Machine
Samsung washing machine DE error code means that either the door may be open or a fault with the door lock. However, if the door is properly locked and the machine still displays a DE error code, it is usually because it’s not getting power passed from the door interlocked.
I. Causes Of DE Error In Samsung Washing Machines
The DE error code can cause a number of reasons:
- The door does not close tightly,
- Hatch closes but does not lock,
- The semiconductor part of the control module has failed,
- Hatch door may get stuck due to foreign objects,
- The door closes only after strong pressure
A. The Hatch Locking Device Has Failed
- The electrical part may break down, and therefore, it is essential to replace the hatch lock device.
- The mechanical part may also break at times, and you may try to restore it. However, it’s better not to waste time for unnecessary work and just change the lock completely.
- Wiring, loading to the door locking, has burnt or torn off.
B. Control Module Defect
Often the DE error code persists despite no certain visible damages. In such a scenario, the control module may be the cause of the fault:
- The element responsible for the self-test system has failed, and the corresponding track has burnt out.
- The part connecting the door lock has burnt out.
- One of the auxiliary parts has failed.
II. How To Fix DE Error In Samsung Washing Machines
Take the following steps to resolve a DE error in your Samsung washing machine:
- Unplug carefully from all power sources.
- Then open the door.
- Use light force and pressure to open the door in case it fails to open normally.
- Remember that forcing the washer door to open may cause damage to the door lock and switch permanently.
- Replace the complete door lock assembly if it is faulty or broken.
- However, if the door locks and switch assembly does not resolve the issue, you may need to replace the control board.
All Error Codes And Solutions
|1E, E7||Water Level Sensor Problem||You may check the pressure hose system for any splits, deterioration or blockages. In case no damage is found, and the connection is ok, replace the pressure sensor.|
|3E||Motor Defect Issue||It may be an short circuit (check wind resistance), a PCB fault, or a loose connector.|
|3E1||Motor Overload||You must ensure there isn’t too much laundry in the appliance or the hall sensor terminal isn’t connected.|
|3E2||Motor Driving Error||The motor driving error from the PBA is weak and unstable relay operation and requires replacing the Motor PCB.|
|3E3||Quiet-Drive Motor Error||Faulty PCB connection, motor hall sensor or even the Quiet Drive motor cover or motor is out of place.|
|3E4||Quiet-Drive Motor Defect||Either the PCB Housing terminal is not connected, there’s a PCB fault, or the Quiet-Motor drive is faulty.|
|4E||Water Supply Error||Check the water supply is turned on and has adequate water pressure. Check for any kinks in the hoses, inlet filters, Water Valve, and valve coil resistance.|
|4E1, 4ED||Water Temperature Issue||Check to ensure the water hose is connected to a cold supply and it must not be connected to a hot supply.|
|4E2||Water Temperature Error||The water is too hot for the selected wash cycle.|
|5E, E2||Water Drain Error||You may check the drain pump filter, drain hose and connection for any blockages or kinks.|
|6E||Water Heater Not Functioning||The heater resistance which should be around ~27Ω.|
|8E||Over Current Error||You may switch the appliance off from all power sources and wait 30 seconds. Switch the appliance on and try again.|
|8E1||MEMS Sensor Error||Carefully check the connections to the MEMS sensor which is mounted on top of the tub. If they’re all secure then replace the sensor.|
|9E1||Power Error||You may check the supply voltage for loose power connectors or any with contact defects. Also, check for defective noise filter and fuse.|
|AE||Signal Communication Error||Check all the connectors on the Main PCB and Sub PCB’s.|
|bE||Motor TRIAC Short Error||Switch off the power supply and then reconnect. If the error persists then replace the PCB.|
|bE1||Power Button Failure||Power button held in for more than 13 seconds.|
|bE2||Control Button Failure||Any button except the power button held in for more than 30 seconds.|
|bE3||Switch Error||There is a relay fault.|
|CE||Cooling Error||You may check if the water supply is connected to hot water and if so change to cold only feed.|
|dE, Ed||Door Open Error||Door not closed properly.|
|dE1||Door Lock Switch Error||You may check if the door is closed and check the switch for any damage.|
|dE2||On/Off Switch Error||Excessive heat buildup in the coil due to button being operated continuously.|
|FE||Fan Error||You may check start condenser or capacitor and fan motor connections, to find out if the fan is hammed.|
|H1||Incorrect Water Temperature||Check the temperature sensor, the pressure switch and hose.|
|HE||Abnormal water temperature||The temperature sensor has detected temperature over 100°C.|
|HE1, E5||Water Heater Error||Check the heater resistance which should be ~27Ω.|
|HE2||Dryer Heater Error||Check heater TCOs. One is resettable. if it needs to be reset; check fan for correct operation, check condenser water valve operation, check condenser for blockages.|
|HE3||Steam Function Fault||Check steam function and TCOs.|
|HOT||Appliance Too Hot||This is not a fault – the appliance fan will continue to run until the appliance is cool enough for the washing to be removed. The door will unlock when it is safe.|
|LE||Water Leak||Check that the level of the drain hose is not lower than the base of the Samsung washing machine.|
|OE||Overflow Error||Too much washing power/liquid may have been added. Turn the power off to the appliance, wait 30 seconds, and then turn on again. The drain pump should kick into action to drain the appliance. Also check the pressure system for any debris/foam.|
|OF||Overflow Abnormal||Check for any water valves which have stuck in the open position, check for debris/foam in the pressure system.|
|Sud||Excess Foam Detected||This is normal operation. The appliance will normally cure this condition on it’s own however if it doesn’t then run either an “Eco drum clean” or a 90°C cotton cycle with no detergent and no washing inside. If the problem persists then please check the pressure system and sump for any debris.|
|t1, t2, tSt||Appliance In Test Mode||Switch the appliance off at the mains and wait 30 seconds. Then, switch it back on and try again.|
|tE, EC||Temperature Sensor Abnormal Issue||Switch off the power and reconnect and try again. Check all the temperature sensors for relative continuity.|
|tE1||Water Heater Temp Sensor Defective||Check the connections to the sensor and PCB, check resistance which should be ~12.8kΩ|
|tE2||Fan Housing Duct Sensor Defective||Check the connections to the sensor and PCB, check resistance which should be ~12.8kΩ|
|tE3||Condenser Duct Sensor Defective||Check the connections to the sensor and PCB, check resistance which should be ~12.8kΩ|
|UC||Excessuve Fluctuation In The Supply Voltage||Check that the supply voltage is within specifications reset the power supply to clear the error. If the error cannot be reset then please replace the main PCB.|
|UE||Unbalanced Error||This could be normal operation where the washing machine is stopping the spin for safety reasons. Please distribute washing more evenly. Check the weights and balancers for condition check the shock absorbers for condition, check the springs for condition.|
Thus, to conclude, Samsung washing machine error codes are very common among consumers. Although one should never shy away from seeking help from a professional in case of a severe issue, some basic faults can be repaired at home at ease, with proper guidance and knowledge.
Aside from Samsung, these washing machine error codes can be seen in other brands like LG and IFB. If you a washing machine from any of these brands, be sure to check out our LG error code, IFB error code troubleshoot guides.